Prostatic-type epithelial polyps
Prostatic-type epithelial polyps were first described approximately 100 years ago. Since then, such lesions have been uncommonly found within the urinary tract, often forming on the posterior urethra The minority of lesions found in the bladder are in the trigone. To the best of our knowledge, our case report is only the second featured within the literature to include involvement of the right lateral bladder wall.
In diagnostic evaluation of prostatic-type polypoid urothelial lesions, great consideration must be given to prostatic ductal adenocarcinoma. This vital differential for exclusion typically contains a comparatively enhanced architectural complexity of cribriform and anastomosing cords, pseudostratified columnar epithelium, and prominent nucleoli belying low-grade nuclear features. Immunohistochemical staining of prostatic ductal adenocarcinoma is similarly positive for PSA and PAP/PSAP.
Other differential diagnoses to consider in evaluation of a prostatic-type lesion of the urothelium include urothelial carcinoma with glandular differentiation, papillary urothelial neoplasm, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), nephrogenic adenoma, polypoid or papillary cystitis, cystitis cystica, and cystitis glandularis.
- Anjum MI, Ahmed M, Shrotri N, Azzopardi A, Mufti GR. Benign polyps with prostatic-type epithelium of the urethra and the urinary bladder. Int Urol Nephrol. 1997;29(3):313-317. doi:10.1007/BF02550928.
- Halat S, Eble JN, Grignon DJ et al. Ectopic prostatic tissue: Histogenesis and histopathological characteristics. Histopathology. Apr 2011;58(5):750-8. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2559.2011.03799.x.
- Zhu H, Lin Y, Wang B, Shen B, Xie L. Prostatic-type polyp located in the bladder of an adolescent: A case report and overview. J Int Med Res. Apr 2019;47(4):1787-1792. doi:10.1177/0300060519828122.
- Chan JK, Chow TC, Tsui MS. Prostatic-type polyps of the lower urinary tract: Three histogenetic types? Histopathology. Aug 1987;11(8):789-801. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2559.1987.tb01883.x.
- Bellezza G, Sidoni A, Cavaliere A. Ectopic prostatic tissue in the bladder. Int J Urol. Dec 2005;12(12):1066-1068. doi:10.1111/j.1442-2042.2005.01210.x.
- Ishikawa J, Yasuno H, Higuchi A, Kamidono S, Okada S. Benign polyp with prostatic-type epithelium of the urinary bladder: A case report. Hinyokika Kiyo. Dec 1990;36(12):1463-1465.
- Ko SY, Kim YJ, Park HS et al. Sonographic findings of ectopic prostatic tissue in the bladder: A case report and review of the literature. Clin Imaging. Jul-Aug 2013;37(4):778-779. doi:10.1016/j.clinimag.2013.01.003.
- Remick DG Jr, Kumar NB. Benign polyps with prostatic-type epithelium of the urethra and the urinary bladder. A suggestion of histogenesis based on histologic and immunohistochemical studies. Am J Surg Pathol. 1984 Nov;8(11):833-839. doi: 10.1097/00000478-198411000-00003. PMID: 6209993.